R. A. "Dick" Nugent, Mayor
Don Albanese, Mayor Pro Tem
Talmadge Austin, Councilmember
Billy Neal, Councilmember
Craig J. Belaire, Councilmember
Christopher Duque, City Manager
P.O. Box 967 * Nederland, Texas 77627 * 409.723.1503 * Fax 409.723.1550
Agenda for Monday, August 23, 2004
NEDERLAND CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
NOTICE is hereby given of a regular meeting of the Nederland City
Council to be held Monday, August 23, 2004, 6:00 p.m., at the Nederland City Office Building, 1400
Boston Avenue, Nederland, Texas, for the purpose of considering the following agenda items. The City
Council reserves the right to retire into Executive Session concerning any of the agenda items
whenever it is considered necessary and legally justified pursuant to Texas Government Code, Chapter
- CALL THE MEETING TO ORDER
- APPROVE THE MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
- Consider action regarding a request from Ricky Mitchell concerning his mobile home at 2803
Avenue H, #5.
- Consider action regarding a request from Basil Hortman to waive penalties and interest on a
Conduct a Public Hearing for the purpose of receiving comments regarding the submission of an
application to the Office of Rural Community Affairs for a Texas Community Development Program
Presentation by Robert Sangster, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, concerning water treatment
standards and requirements.
Consider action approving Resolution No. 2004-07, implementing the National Incident Management
System (NIMS) in the City of Nederland as initiated by the Department of Homeland Security.
Consider action approving a Fraud Prevention Policy as recommended by Edgar, Kiker & Cross, PC.
Consider action authorizing the advertisement of bids for City property on S. 16th
Consider action approving Ordinance No. 2004-07, utility regulations and rates.
Consider action approving Ordinance No. 2004-08, an appropriation ordinance adopting a budget in
accordance with Article VII in the Charter of the City of Nederland.
- Consider action regarding adoption of the proposed tax rate and establishing a date and time
- Consider action regarding the proposed tax rate and establishing a date and time for a Public
- Consider action approving Ordinance No. 2004-09, adopting a tax rate of $.658903 per $100
valuation for the fiscal year beginning October 1, 2004 and ending September 30, 2005.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
Consider approval of the Five Year Capital Improvement Program.
- Consider action approving a payment to Schaumburg & Polk, Inc. in the amount of $18,280.00, 2005
collection system rehabilitation.
- Consider action approving a payment to Schaumburg & Polk, Inc. in the amount of $841.62, 2002-03
collection system rehabilitation.
EXECUTIVE SESSION (No Public Discussion on These Items)
The City Council will announce that it will go into Executive Session, pursuant to Chapter 551 of
the Texas Government Code, to discuss matters as specifically listed on the agenda, or as
authorized by law.
- Real Property - Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.072
Discuss acquisition, exchange, sale, and/or release of property.
- Litigation - Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.071
Discuss pending and threatened litigation:
- City of Nederland v. Entergy Gulf States, Entergy, Inc. and Entergy Services, Inc.
- Appeal of Texas Gas Service Company from the ratesetting actions of the Cities of Nederland, Port Neches, and Groves
- IRS issues presented by the Nederland Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.
- Consultation with City Attorney - Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.071
Reconvene into regular session and discuss and take action, if any, on items discussed in
Receive comments from Mayor, City Council, and City Manager.
END Agenda for Monday, August 23, 2004