R. A. "Dick" Nugent, Mayor
Billy Neal, Mayor Pro Tem
Talmadge Austin, Councilmember
Craig J. Belaire, Councilmember
Christopher Duque, City Manager
P.O. Box 967 * Nederland, Texas 77627 * 409.723.1503 * Fax 409.723.1550
Agenda for Monday, May 24, 2004
NEDERLAND CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
NOTICE is hereby given of a regular meeting of the Nederland City
Council to be held Monday, May 24, 2004, 6:00 p.m., at the Nederland City Office Building, 1400 Boston
Avenue, Nederland, Texas, for the purpose of considering the following agenda items. The City Council
reserves the right to retire into Executive Session concerning any of the agenda items whenever it is
considered necessary and legally justified pursuant to Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.
- CALL THE MEETING TO ORDER
- APPROVE THE MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
- Canvass election returns of the May 15, 2004 election; swearing in of Mayor and Councilmembers
for Wards II and IV.
- Consider action authorizing the payment of election officials in accordance with the Texas
- Elect Mayor pro tempore in accordance with Section 3.06 of the City Charter.
GROUP HEALTH BENEFITS
Consider action awarding bid for employee group health benefits.
WATER AND SEWER
- Presentation of smoke testing report by representatives of Schaumburg & Polk, Inc.
- Consider action regarding the continuance or elimination of the EPA fee.
- Discussion regarding water meter replacement.
- Consider action awarding bid for large water meter replacement.
- Consider action authorizing the purchase of a personal accountability and identification system
for the Fire Department, 2003 Assistance to Firefighters Grant.
- Consider action authorizing the waiver of penalty and interest on tax Account No. 066550-000600.
- Consider action authorizing the waiver of penalty and interest on tax Account No. 066500-000700.
- Consider approval of a payment to Schaumburg & Polk, Inc. in the amount of $7,860.00, smoke testing.
- Consider approval of a payment to Schaumburg & Polk, Inc. in the amount of $749.20, S. 5th Street sewer rehabilitation.
- Consider approval of a payment to Schaumburg & Polk, Inc. in the amount of $3,399.82, 2002-2003 collection system rehabilitation (Year 5)
- Consider approval of a payment to Schaumburg & Polk, Inc. in the amount of $579.08, wastewater system improvements (treatment plant).
- Consider approval of a payment to Brystar Contracting, Inc. in the amount of $122,229.85, wastewater collection system improvements (Years 4 & 5).
EXECUTIVE SESSION (No Public Discussion on These Items)
The City Council will announce that it will go into Executive Session, pursuant to Chapter 551 of
the Texas Government Code, to discuss matters as specifically listed on the agenda, or as
authorized by law.
- Real Property - Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.072
Discuss acquisition, exchange, sale, and/or release of property.
- Litigation - Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.071
Discuss pending and threatened litigation:
- City of Nederland v. Entergy Gulf States, Entergy, Inc. and Entergy Services, Inc.
- Litigation against KSA Engineers, Inc. and ALLCO, Inc. regarding water treatment plant
- Appeal of Texas Gas Service Company from the ratesetting actions of the Cities of Nederland, Port Neches, and Groves
- Consultation with City Attorney - Texas Government Code, Chapter 551.071
Reconvene into regular session and discuss and take action, if any, on items discussed in
Receive comments from Mayor, City Council, and City Manager.
END Agenda for Monday, May 24, 2004